I know it sounds absurd that I used to be scared (not really a quite accurate adjective to describe it) of - cooking. And the only person who understood that without judging me was my secondary school friend. We used to be so close and she's the kind of person who listens to my problems without being judgmental. But these days we kind of drift apart because she sucks at replying messages and keeping in touch (she made it very clear about that so no hard feelings).

Alright back to the main topic, I used to hate myself (still do) because I was bad at it and I did nothing to improve for some reasons. The reasons might be my ego and the people around me. I received a lot of backlash, hurtful comments that hurt my pride and those things did not make me want to improve my cooking skill though. They were very insulting and I did not know what's gotten into me but all I wanted to react was by NOT improving my cooking skill because that would mean that I succumbed to their ideas that women have to know how to cook. They did not make it a big deal if men don't so it irritated me in a way. Cooking skill is a survival skill, not a skill that all women have to be interested in order to get married whatsoever, that's what I thought (and think).

The voices slow down these days and I try not to let them get into my head and heart. For God's sake, I'm 23. I don't want to overthink petty things that would restrain me from growing. I'm proudly say that I've overcome my 'fear' and I'm doing this for MYSELF and people that I love. 

No comments: